Recently my Dad asked me if I had any pictures of my MFA thesis project - titled "Making Visible" which I completed in 2009. My first thought was "is it up on the website?", which, once I checked, I realized that is wasn't. It was so nice to be reminded of this work, as it is has had a huge impact on my practice as a whole.
So I went digging. I share my findings and walk down memory lane with you here.
At the time, I had been doing a number of large scale temporary wall paintings - see above. So it followed that this project began with the kind of crazy idea to make my entire studio into a painted space - the building my studio was in was going to be demolished the following year, so the faculty and such were on board.
In order to wrap my head around working in a 3-dimensional space, I created a series of maquettes or models to see how the line systems I was devising would play out in a space. I did a series of models and eventually settled on Proposition 3
The basis for this work was to take the measurement and architectural features of the space and riff on them - devising lines systems that reacted directly to the space.
For example, the design I choose for the actual installation was based on taking the dimensions of the outer perimeter of the room - outlined in yellow in the image to the right - and rotate it around the room. It was fascinating to me that something that in one orientation fit the room so perfectly, but rotate it even the slightest and that same diagram become almost completely unmanageable.